Saturday, August 16, 2014

Humbling...

So most of you know that I went to Atlanta for HDU... Yes Home Depot has a "university" lol still makes me laugh. Anyway, I wasn't real keen on going but I'm glad I did. I learned some things about the business but mostly I learned a lot about myself, which will help me go further in my career. For those of you that do work for Home Depot and haven't gone, or haven't thought about moving up, give it some thought... Yea there is some "propaganda" but with any company you expect that because in order for them to succeed you know they have to get you to believe in what they are spewing. I will tell you this... If what they "preached" while I was there is the future then I'm on board. I have a feeling that the old school "lead by fear" is being trended out. Think about how many management people have been fired in the last year... How many had that mentality? Just a thought to consider. 

Anyway, while I was there I met this guy named Jim Morocco. He is an incredible guy. Funny as hell, genuine, caring (the man would cry at the drop of a hat lol). If you paid enough attention you knew he had gone thru a lot in his "work" life. You could tell that he had experienced a lot of "lead by fear" sort of management but he also had that one person who brought some positive in his life. Jim is a genuine guy with a lot of character and even tho he may have gone thru some sort of hell in his career path he has stayed true to himself and I believe he will be an incredible manager because of it.

Now at the end of the week we had to vote on who we thought deserved the "silver apron". The "silver apron" is the person who basically impacted us the most throughout the week. No I didn't win I came in second with a couple other guys but I was ok with that because Jim actually won. I will add that I thought he deserved it... Hands down no competition!!! And YES when he found out he cried... Like a baby Lol!!! 
Also at the end of the week we had to write a letter to a person, we picked at random, about how they impacted us throughout the week. Well Jim pulled my name. Here's where my humbling experience came into play. So the same guy who got 50% of the votes, the guy who 50% of the class said impacted them, the guy that has been passionate about everything told me that I actually had an impact on him. Think about that for a moment... The guy that 50% of the people in the class said impacted them said I had an impact on him. That made me feel good... Way better than any award in my opinion! So before you think your actions don't matter in someone's life remember you may not impact 50% of the "class" but there may be that one person that you do impact... You have to decide HOW you will impact them!

Whether I move up... Lol that was funny y'all know I'm too competitive to stay still... Let me start again.
"When" I move up I hope I have impacted at least 1 person. If 1 person gets something out of what I'm trying to do then I feel I have made a difference because I know the 1 person that I impacted will impact at least one person...

That is all...

                               






 

No comments:

Post a Comment