Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A face that resembles theirs...

Yesterday and today I was being amused by a young lady who works with me. She's new and I haven't had a chance to really chat with her. I probably saw her more yesterday. Anyway, I was flying past her to go take care of something on the other side of the store and she caught me and she asked me what did I do and then she asked if I were a manager. I chuckled and said "Yes I'm a manager. I don't really act like one though do I?" She just kinda looked at me and shook her head. Later that night I told her I'd wear something that would look more like a manager.

Today I was chatting with this same young lady and I asked her if I looked more like a manager today and she said "Not really.", I just laughed. Then she starts asking about her schedule and I told her to put a copy on the desk and I'll sign it. She told me after I signed it that she was going to have Ryan, who is another manager, sign it because she really didn't think I was a manager. I started rollin "Are you serious?!! What do you think I just walk around bossing people around and answering questions because I think it's fun?" Ryan had to tell her that I was a manager... That I was his equal. I'm still amused, no need to get upset because I am pretty unorthodox with my management style.

As we were going home she made the comment that Stephen, Ryan and Sal were on this side and I was WAAAYYY on the other side. That's why she didn't think I was a manager. I asked "Do you think you have to be a white male to be a manager at Home Depot?" she said "Well that's all we've ever seen."

That got me to thinking about all the managers that I've ever had at the Home Depot and she's pretty much correct. I know that the Home Depot is trying to make their management more diverse but in the Omaha area I think it's going to be a little hard if the mentality of the associates is you have to be a white male to promote. I may not have been their first choice but I think I was the right choice especially in the store that I am currently in. Kari made the comment that they haven't had "a face to match theirs so they don't know that it's possible to move up". That made sense to me because all the women that were in management positions either washed out or are so damn miserable you wonder how long they will last. I know it's not an easy job and it helps that I love my job but at the end of the day it's a job. I have learned that I have to make the best decisions I can, given I have about 2.5 seconds to respond. I will make horrible decisions and I'll make amazing decisions either way it's still a learning experience. I need the people I manage to see that it's possible to promote without losing 1- who you are and 2- your mind. Every day should be a new adventure!

I want to be the exception not the rule in someone's life... Anything is possible!!!

That is all...

No comments:

Post a Comment